Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Gettysburg Address

Four score and seven years ago...Our group headed to Gettysburg for the day on Saturday. I have wanted to go to Gettysburg ever since that scene in Remember the Titans when they wake up at like 5:00 am and run to the cemetery. Unfortunately I found out that the scene was filmed in Georgia, I know I was crushed too. It is just starting to become Fall back east so the leaves were changing and the scenery was beautiful. Gettysburg is much bigger than I was expecting. It took us about 2 hours to go on our bus tour but as always we made it as fun as possible.




We received a good history lesson about the Civil War while we were there. I was told again and again that the civil war was not fought for slavery but for state rights. It is interesting how perceptions of events change over time. I have never seen so many monuments in one place. Our guide said he has yet to see all the monuments and he had been there for years.




After Gettysburg we ventured over to Harper's Ferry. It is a tiny town where a big slave movement happened two years before the war began. There is a view up on a rock overlooking the water that Thomas Jefferson said was worth crossing the Atlantic for. So of course we had to check it out.



It was a long day, full of lots of sights and history. By the time we got home we were exhausted but before I could relax I had to go for a run. And go for a run I did. I am training for a half marathon coming up in about a month so running long distances is a must. I ran 10 miles Saturday night! I never thought I would be able to do it but I did and am now paying for it dearly with very sore muscles!



There were critics of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address with many of them calling his words silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment