Sunday, October 16, 2011

Aren't Parents the Best?

I had a very special treat this weekend. My parents came into town for a visit. My mom arrived Wednesday night, we went to the Cheesecake Factory and I spent the night at the hotel with her. (such a good nights sleep). I had to go to work on Thursday so she spent the day touring the Smithsonian and Supreme Court but met up with me for lunch. My dad came from business meeting in Philadelphia on Thursday. We went to a delicious dinner Thursday night at a great restaurant called The Founding Famers. We would definitely recommend it.


Friday morning we were up early for a tour of the Capital. I was giving the tour which made it a little different than most tours I take around and of my parents wanted to make sure I had all my facts straight. After the Capital we went to Good Stuff Eatery for lunch and then headed to the Library of Congress for a tour. This was by far my favorite thing. I was amazed at the building and of course all the things they have inside. From books to music to video games they have just about everything ever published.


It was a rainy day and we wanted to stay dry. It was a good thing we had run into my friend Nefi the night before and he told us he would give us a tour of CNN, where he works. I hurried and called him up, luckily he was free. We headed over and got a behind the scenes tour and actually got to see a live show happening. After our CNN tour we headed to a movie in Georgetown. We saw Footloose and absolutely loved it and then went for a Japanese dinner.

On Saturday we headed for the Smithsonian Space and Air museum where we learned about the Apollo missions to the moon and then saw a movie narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio about the Hubble space telescope. It was finally a beautiful day so we headed towards the National Mall to take a look at the monuments. After seeing the Washington, World War II, Korean, and Lincoln memorials we headed back to Georgetown for some shopping.

We had heard about an I Love Lucy concert happening that night at the Library of Congress. If you know my mom at all, you know that she LOVES Lucy. A lady told us a way to get tickets and get tickets we did. 3 tickets on the front row! It was a concert honoring Desi Arnaz and his music. It was one of the most fun concerts I have ever been too.

Sunday was another big day. We headed to the White House garden tours first thing in the morning. It was pretty cool to see the White House from the backyard. Then we headed towards Arlington Cemetery where we were able to see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was another perfect fall day so we enjoyed being outside. We headed to Georgetown for a little more last minute shopping and then sent them off to the airport!



We were going, going, going, all weekend and I am definitely tired but I wouldn't change a second of their trip. I loved having my parents here and being able to show them around. Thanks for coming Mom and Dad!

The Library of Congress has the first ever map that labels America.

No comments:

Post a Comment